Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Through the Mail Autographs (TTM)

            

      When I first read about through the mail autographs (TTM), I could not believe I had never thought of doing this myself. I am such a huge sports fan and have been my whole life. I find the stories and career arcs of players to be totally enthralling. Having a card signed by a favorite player of mine makes me feel closer to the game. I am also a huge player of fantasy sports, so i have a broad horizon of players i am a fan of.
      When writing an athlete for TTM, I typically send a fan letter, a card to be signed, and a self addressed stamped envelope. I want the process for the athlete to be as seamless as possible and non-intrusive upon their time. Sometimes I go all out and decorate the letter in all kinds of graphics and logos and other times I keep it simple. If I hear a player curse a lot on the field; I might curse a lot in their fan letter. I tend to use the SHOTGUN method when sending  the letters out. I will ship out 5 or 6 at a time. On average I get about 30% percent back signed and about 10% returned unsigned. It is not a terribly good success rate, but every time get an autograph in the mail it only fuels me to send more out. It is almost better to forget you sent them out entirely and be totally surprised when one comes in the mail. NEVER ASSUME YOU WILL GET AN AUTOGRAPH BACK!
Here are some of my successes from April 2013 to April 2014  
     Billy Beane - Oakland A General Manager 

       Andy Pettitte - New York Yankees Starting Pitcher

                                          Andrelton Simmons - Atlanta Braves Short Stop


                                           Addison Reed - Chicago White Sox Closer


                                         Didi Gregorius - Cincinnati Reds Short Stop


                                    Eric Decker - Denver Broncos Wide Receiver


                                  A.J. Burnett - Pittsburgh Pirates Starting Pitcher


                            Chien-Ming Wang - Washington Nationals Starting Pitcher


                                 Jarrod Parker - Oakland Athletics Starting Pitcher

                                 Juan Francisco - Atlanta Braves Third Baseman

                                  Peyton Manning - Denver Broncos Quarterback

                           Stephen Strasburg - Washington Nationals Starting Pitcher


                               Clayton Kershaw - Los Angeles Dodgers Starting Pitcher

                                  Andre Reed - Buffalo Bills Hall of Fame Wide Receiver 


                                       Evan Gattis "El Oso Blanco" - Atlanta Braves Catcher


                                 Mike Schmidt - Philadelphia Phillies Hall of Famer


                                      Nick Anderson - Orlando Magic Guard


                                      Fred Jackson - Buffalo Bills Running Back


                                        Buck Showalter - Baltimore Orioles Manager


                                    Justin Masterson - Cleveland Indians Starting Pitcher

                                          Steve Cishek - Miami Marlins Closer

                                        Jose Molina - Tampa Bay Rays Catcher

                                    Ben Zobrist - Tampa Bay Rays Second Baseman

                                                   Joe Nathan - Texas Rangers Closers

                                      Jordan Schafer - Atlanta Braves Outfielder

                                      David Robertson - New York Yankees Closer


                                                  Rony Seikaly - Orlando Magic Center

                                         Jason Grilli - Pittsburgh Pirates Closer


                                     Starling Marte - Pittsburgh Pirates Outfielder


                               Brandon McCarthy - Arizona Diamondbacks Starting Pitcher

                                 Brandon Beachy - Atlanta Braves Starting Pitcher


                                Chris Capuano - Los Angeles Dodgers Relief Pitcher


                                  Jose Altuve - Houston Astors Second Baseman


                                       Justin Ruggiano - Miami Marlins Outfielder


                                     Marquise Goodwin - Buffalo Bills Wide Receiver 


                                                   Chris Gragg - Buffalo Bills Tight End

                                 Casey Kotchman - Cleveland Indians First Baseman


                                 Sean Doolittle - Oakland Athletics Relief Pitcher

                                    Scott Downs - Anaheim Angels Relief Pitcher

                                    Elliot Johnson - Tampa Bay Rays Infielder


                                      Rob Scahill - Colorado Rockies Relief Pitcher
         I will be posting my current TTM successes as they appear in my mail box. I do get my fair share of failures and "return to senders". However I will not be posting anything about my failures, as I do not want to single anyone out.

   
FanMail.biz is a great resource for mail addresses

No comments:

Post a Comment